Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

See Engine Noise Diagnosis Videos

Proper engine noise diagnosis is a very important issue to address. In fact improper diagnosis can lead you on a wild goose chase. Note that I added 2 important videos of a true rod knock and a lifter tap at the bottom so you can be clear on the different sounds they make!

Here is an example of a mistake I made that taught me this valuable lesson. I had a double knock and believed the engine noise was a wrist pin. I removed the engine and disassemble it only to find out it was a camshaft thrust plate that came loose. I wasted day’s of work that was not needed. I was young when this happened but I think about it often when I hear engine noises.

Sometimes an engine malfunction will reveal itself first as an unusual noise. This can happen before the problem affects the actual performance. Some of these problems include badly worn piston rings or ring lands, loose wrist pins, worn main bearings or connecting rod bearings, and loose valve train components all produced telltale noises that are unique.

View the Original article

No comments:

Post a Comment